Friday, October 13, 2006

Emancipation from examination.

They come twice or four times a year depending on the mood of the University. Worse, if the professor is one from the enthusiastic breed, there will be some more - euphemistically called tests. I'm recovering from one such series of assaults just to realise I've to get into top shape for the next event - longer and tougher than the first. Of course it will be a last minute effort. I rarely branch out from the traditional.

Then what's new about this discussion? Actually, nothing. It's just that crazy times are mostly accompanied by stupid thoughts - "What's the perfect examination?" You bet, stupid thought.

Spare a moment and you'll probably realise that all the exams you attempted [apt use of the word, what say?] in your life can be summarised in one phrase - use of logic. There's absolutely nothing that is out of the syllabus after this approach is adopted. Then where's the problem? It's the knowledge of terminology of the subject. Now before going on any further, let me make it clear that this opinion fails miserably when applied to subjects based on facts and figures [read history].

All great ideas have an inspiration. Let me tell you my story. Last week we had a class test in which four problems had to be solved in an hour - five marks each. Like that mattered. I couldn't make myself to go beyond the first one. It was an amazing-concept-but-can't-get-solution types. I left an approximate amount of space [only to realise that I wouldn't be able to fill it later] and went on to the next one. Same fate with a little concession. I managed to draw [rather, attempt - man, this word conveys so much] a small diagram. After the stipulated one hour, I had written just two sides on the answer sheet, one frustrated poem, drawn a heptagon and an octagon, cracked a few jokes [really really sad ones I guess] with my neighbour, killed two irritating mosquitoes and stared hard at the fan.

Yesterday, the results of the test were out. Guess who scored the highest - one dude who keeps forgetting that green is for earthing in a plug. Irony, he is going to graduate in Electrical Engineering. After a long and tiring semester, this realisation was the last straw. Now, how do we come up with an exam that tests the real knowledge of the student? Quite impossible to be frank. C'mon, I've scored the highest in Marathi during school and yet can't get through a complete sentence without giving the impression that I'm of Russian ancestry. Bookish knowledge has long defeated common sense. All that is taught in class is fit for just that - to be taught in class. Public and Entrance exams are better not discussed. Well, maybe another time; can't resist the entertainment, you see.

That still leaves us with the same, basic question. Sometimes it makes me wonder whether the solution is anything even remotely connected to academics. Could be social, ideological or maybe even political. Till then, I better keep studying. No doubt, last minute attempt [wow, this word amazes me].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home